This collection will serve as our personal responses to "Readers of the Quilt" by Joanne Kilgour Dowdy and other essays by Jaqueline Royster, Elaine Richardson and Star Parker.



Monday, March 22, 2010

Lessons From Down Under


Dr. House-Soremekun explains her drive to succeed in Lessons from Down Under. The stories and life lessons that her grandmother told her made a resounding impact in her life. Specifically, I remember the story of her great grandfather. She writes, “My great grandfather told my grandmother that pigs were given food in a big trough in the yard. After the pigs had finished eating, the plantation owners poured food for the field slaves into the same trough from which the animals had eaten. The field slaves were given no utensils and had to eat with their hands… The first thing my great grandfather did [ after emancipation] was buy himself a knife and fork… the purchase of the knife and fork … was a way to elevate himself to the “higher levels of humanity” from which he was denied as a slave. “(63) This, in addition to many other accounts motivated Dr. House-Soremekun to strive for success. Particularly, she wanted to attain a PhD because it was the highest degree possible to attain. She wanted to prove that she, nor were her ancestors, inferior to their oppressors. I can personally relate to her drive to succeed. My mother tells me all the time that she wants me not to be like her, but to be better. Carrying this weight has made me highly motivated to succeed. Like Dr. House-Soremekun, I see myself attaining the highest degree possible, not because I feel obligated too, but because I have the drive and determination to. I feel that it is important that her grandmother told her stories of the hardships that her ancestors had gone through. This inspired Dr. House-Soremekun to be the best person she could be. I feel that in today’s society children do not have the same motivation as their parents did. As long as the child makes it then the society is ok; however, what happened to children excelling in all that they do? - Daria Clegg

9 comments:

  1. That account in the book struck me as well. So many things ran through my mind when I read it from the uncleaniess to how dehumanize her grandfather must have felt. I particulariy liked that her grandfather instead of buying shoes or clothes bought a knife and fork something so simple to us in modern day but so signifigant to him at that time.
    -Nehemie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with this post 100%. I believe that there is always this need to strive for a higher form of excellence when facing adversity or animosity. Success does not come with ease or the lack of difficulty, but success is a product of overcoming the struggle. The overall message that Dr. House-Soremekun conveys is that in order for one to succeed one must also endure trials and tribulations.

    -Kori A. Coleman

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with this, so many times people wonder why African Americn children are never determined enough. Many black children don't have someone pushing them in their households. Most of their parents have not had any type of higher education nor encourage their kids to go to college. I feel that the author's grandmother had a tremendous influence on her success. I believe if a black child does not have someone who is a strong foundation their chances if suceeding are minimal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe that was a vey unique connection made by Daria. I too am carrying some of my mother's dreams and I can directly identify with that clause. Also, the visual was very different and I like the way she really stepped out of the box all the way around in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The part about the slaves eating out of a trough is very hard to accept but yet illustrates how slaves were treated like animals. I think this point in the article enhanced your blog. Also, my mother tells me the same thing, which is why she lets me choose my path, and stands behind it, especially because it has a lot to do with education and not giving up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought about the ending question, what happened to children excelling in all that they do. Personally the only reason why I am going to college is because my parents will not support me financially. The only way they will contribute money is if I go to college. I would rather lay around or go to the park and look at nature all day. However, my parents motivate me to get a college degree. I have some motivation but my parents are like my anchors who hold me down and keep me from falling.
    My parents struggled to get their degrees. They did not grow up in segregated South but they had to overcome the stereotypes about black people. Having learned from college experience, they raised my brother and me to strive for excellence in school. They did not want us to get C's when they knew we could do better.
    I liked her blog and she did a good job summarizing the article.
    -Shaniqua Smiley

    ReplyDelete
  7. The story about her grandfather and his new fork and knife also stood out me. It shocked me that people actually had to eat with their hands, from the same trough that was used to feed animals. That is extremely degrading and dehumanizing but her grandfather was able to rise from it and create a powerful learning experience from it. I also identify with the fact that your mother tells you to be better than her because this is something my parents teach me. If more Black parents instilled that thought in their children we would see alot more progression in the Black community.
    -Vernee Pelage

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also think it was important for Soremekun's grandmother to tell her the stories of her past. I think this was a way to teach her different lessons about life. This also ties in to the different types of literacy. Though her grandmother did not teach her in the form of reading and writing; she taught her to through this oral tradtion that is so important in the African American community.

    ~Alaina Walton

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this post! Particularly because my mom tells me the same thing..."don't make the same mistakes I made" or "do better than I did." This also serves as my motivation and determination to be successful. You said that this generation is not the same as our parents and I think that is because the majority of us have been given so much and what often take for granted is how hard our parents had to work to make our lives what they are now.
    -Taylor Carter

    ReplyDelete