This collection will serve as our personal responses to "Readers of the Quilt" by Joanne Kilgour Dowdy and other essays by Jaqueline Royster, Elaine Richardson and Star Parker.



Friday, February 19, 2010

She was working like foreal


In reading she was working like foreal by Elaine Richardson, I found the research presented very intriguing. the girls that were in the study surprised be by their answers to most questions. I expected them to say, after watching the video, that the video was degrading towards women and be adamant about their statements; instead for the majority of the answers, the girls responded by “well yes and no” answers. I find this very sad that a woman can look at a music video such as this Nelly’s Tip Drill video and not consider it degrading. To ensure that I was being fair and that I could make a nonbiased decision on whether I personally thought the video was degrading to women or not, I did my own research and tried to look the video up to watch it myself. I could not even access it on youtube due to the explicit content. I did not realize the severity of this video. Compromising, I simply asked my roommate about what happened in the video and her remarks said enough. The girls also made an interesting comment to a question that Elaine Richardson asked. Their comment went as follows: “I don’t think that, people think that black women don’t have respect for they self as much as other women do” (p. 801) She then lists examples as too why her statement was valid: look how black women are portrayed on TV with no baby father, lots of kids, stripping, and poor. (801) I specifically remember the billboard that she describes. the billboard read, “break the cycle, don’t drop out of school” but it was talking about black pregnancy; thus, the billboard had a black girl on it. More importantly, the billboard was in a community where there were not any blacks. So as the white community looked at this billboard, they couldn’t help but think that black people only have “an eighth grade education and… many babies”. Because of images like this, other ethnic group are being taught wrong information and instead are forming like stereotypes.- Daria Clegg

No comments:

Post a Comment